23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Top Light, Run Hill

When I was hiking on Run Hill in late afternoon I came upon this scene -- the angled winter sun was lighting just the tops of the trees and grass and you could see into the dune beyond, framed by the dark shadowy grasses on this small dune. I have been working on that theme lately of "the view beyond" so I really wanted to do this painting. I tried it in oil and everything that could go wrong, went wrong, so I got out my pastels and it came together very quickly. I started by toning the white Wallis paper with some carmine pastel. This really helped to jumpstart the painting, as the white Wallis can be very uncooperative if it is not toned somehow. You can see some of the dark red undertone in the grasses. 5 x 7, soft pastel on Wallis. Matted with double-mat in Americana walnut/cherry wide frame. $99 At Yellowhouse Gallery, Nags Head, NC.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder